Colonel Greg D. Whitaker is the Vice Commander, 67th Cyberspace Wing, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas. The 67th CW is the Air Force’s newest combat wing, serving as Air Force Cyber’s execution arm for generating, projecting, and sustaining combat power with the employment of systems such as the Cyberspace Vulnerability Assessment/Hunt and the Network Attack cyber weapon systems. The wing develops, trains, exercises and tests information operations tactics, techniques and procedures; analyzes and mitigates U.S. cyberspace vulnerabilities; and integrates emerging Information Dominance capabilities for the warfighter. Colonel Whitaker assists the commander leading more than 2,000 Airmen, civilians, and contractors across three operations groups with 26 units at 7 locations worldwide. He also ensures the readiness and employment of Airmen to conduct network operations, defense, attack, and exploitation in service of the Air Force, combatant commands, and national agencies.
Colonel Whitaker received his commission through the Reserve Officer Training Corps program at the University of Missouri at Columbia in 1997. He is a Cyber Operations Officer with various operational and staff assignments including squadron command, Air Staff, Joint Staff. Prior to his current assignment, Colonel Whitaker was the Future Operations and Plans Division Chief at U.S. Cyber Command, Ft. Meade, Md.
1997 Bachelor of Science, Computer Science, University of Missouri, Columbia, Mo.
2002 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2004 Master of Arts, Management, Webster University, Scott AFB, Ill.
2009 Master of Arts, National Security and Strategic Studies, Naval Command and Staff College, Newport Naval Station, R.I.
2016 Master of Science, Government Information Leadership with a concentration in Strategy, Information Resources Management College (IRMC), National Defense University (NDU), Washington D.C.
1. January 1998–May 1998, Student, Basic Communications Officer Training, Keesler AFB, Miss.
2. May 1998–January 2000, Communications Officer, 1st Communications Squadron, Langley AFB, Va.
3. January 2000–December 2002, Chief, Satellite Operations Testing, then Test and Evaluation Analysis Flight Commander, 17th Test Squadron, Schriever AFB, Colo.
4. December 2002–October 2003, Assistant Director of Operations, 868th Communications Squadron, Scott AFB
5. October 2003–December 2004, Executive Officer, Air Mobility Command Communications Group, Scott AFB
6. December 2004–February 2006, Airborne Communications Staff Officer, A6, Headquarters Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB
7. February 2006–November 2007, Base Level Systems Flight Commander, then Combat Support Flight Commander, 33rd Combat Communications Squadron, Tinker AFB, Okla.
8. November 2007–July 2008, Plans and Operations Flight Commander, 3rd Combat Communications Support Squadron, Tinker AFB
9. July 2008–June 2009, Student, Naval Command and Staff College, Newport Naval Station
10. July 2009–July 2011, Commander, 35th Communications Squadron, Misawa AB, Japan
11. August 2011–August 2013, Chief of Mission Support Assignments, AF Colonels Management Office, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
12. September 2013–July 2015, Action Officer, Operations Branch, C4/Cyber; then Executive Assistant to the Director, Joint Staff, J6, Pentagon
13. August 2015–July 2016, Senior Developmental Education Student, IRMC, NDU, Ft. McNair, Washington D.C.
14. August 2016–July 2018, Deputy Division Chief then Division Chief, Future Operations and Plans, U.S. Cyber Command, Ft. Meade
15. July 2018–Present, Vice Commander, 67th Cyberspace Wing, JBSA-Lackland
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTIONS
Second Lieutenant Dec. 26, 1997
First Lieutenant Dec. 26, 1999
Captain Dec. 26, 2001
Major June 1, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 1, 2011
Colonel March 1, 2018
(Current as of September 2018)