Col. Nathan R. Rabe is the Vice Commander, 363d Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Wing, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia. He assists the Wing Commander in leading the Air Force’s all-source analysis and full spectrum targeting enterprises for Combined Forces Air Component Commanders worldwide. The wing provides airborne ISR for sensitive joint special operations globally and ISR testing, tactics development and advanced training for air, space, and cyber operations.
Rabe entered the Air Force in March 1998 as a distinguished graduate of the Ohio State University’s Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps program. He has served in multiple intelligence targeting positions, and deployed as a targeteer in support of five named operations, and has also deployed to Afghanistan as the J2, Chief of Operations for a joint special operations task force. Additionally, he served in staff positions at the joint staff, intelligence agency, major command, and numbered air force levels.
Rabe commanded the 93rd Intelligence Squadron and was the deputy commander of the 318th Cyberspace Operations Group. Prior to this position, he served in the Directorate for Intelligence, Joint Staff, Washington, DC.
1998 Bachelor of Science, Civil Engineering, THE Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Alabama
2009 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2009 Master of Science, Strategic Intelligence, National Defense Intelligence College, Washington, D.C.
2012 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Alabama
2017 United States Marine Corps War College, Quantico, Virginia
1. May 1998 – February 1999, Student, Basic Intelligence Officer Course, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
2. February 1999 – January 2002, Command Targeteer, Air Combat Command Intelligence Squadron, Langley AFB, Virginia
3. January 2002 – October 2003, Chief, Air/Air Defense Targets Branch, 609th Air Intelligence Squadron, Shaw AFB, South Carolina
4. October 2003 – May 2006, Chief, Force Application Requirements and CENTCOM Targets Officer, Deputy Directorate for Targets, Joint Staff/J2, Washington, D.C.
5. May 2006 – October 2007, Military Assistant to the Director, Defense Intelligence Agency, Washington, D.C.
6. October 2007 – June 2010, Chief, Exercise Support and Plans Branch and Chief, ISR Strategy and Plans Division, Directorate of Intelligence, Thirteenth Air Force, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
7. June 2010 – July 2011, Deputy Director, Commander’s Action Group, Headquarters, Pacific Air Forces, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
8. July 2011 – June 2012, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Alabama
9. June 2012 – June 2013, Chief, Policy, Assessments and Lessons Learned Division, Headquarters, Air Force ISR Agency, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
10. June 2013 – July 2015, Commander, 93rd Intelligence Squadron, Joint Base San Antonio- Lackland, Texas
11. July 2015 – July 2016, Deputy Commander, 318th Cyberspace Operations Group, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
12. July 2016 – June 2017, Student, United States Marine Corps War College, Quantico, Virginia
13. June 2017 – July 2019, Senior Executive Assistant to the Director for Intelligence and Chief, Intelligence Plans, Exercises, and Doctrine Division, Joint Staff/J2, Washington, D.C.
14. July 2019 – present, Vice Commander, 363d Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Wing, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant March 20, 1998
First Lieutenant April 16, 2000
Captain April 16, 2002
Major Aug. 1, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel Oct.1, 2012
Colonel Jan. 1, 2019
(Current as of July 2019)