Colonel Chad J. Hartman is the Commander, Air Force Technical Applications Center, Patrick Air Force Base, Fla. AFTAC operates and maintains the United States Atomic Energy Detection System to monitor foreign compliance with various treaties limiting nuclear testing. The focus of AFTAC’s more than 1,000 professionals is to detect special events in the atmosphere, underwater, underground, and in space to determine if they are nuclear and to report them to U.S. senior decision makers.
Colonel Hartman earned his commission through the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps program at the University of Missouri in 1994. Throughout his career, he has led intelligence operations across multiple theaters and echelons, to include an F-117 fighter squadron, Air Operations Centers in both Pacific and Central Air Forces, the U.S. Air Force Distributed Common Ground System, and U.S. Special Operations Command. On behalf of the Vice Chief of Staff of the Air Force, he led a cross-functional team of military, industry and academia experts in the development of an innovation campaign for the Air Force.
An operational Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance expert with extensive combat experience, Colonel Hartman deployed in support of multiple overseas operations including Operations Iraqi Freedom, Allied Force, Enduring Freedom, Deliberate Guard, New Dawn and Inherent Resolve.
1994 Bachelor of Arts degree in International Relations, University of Missouri, Columbia, Mo.
2000 Master of Arts degree in Managerial Economics, University of Oklahoma, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
2000 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2007 Master of Arts degree in Strategic Intel, National Defense Intel College, Bolling AFB, D.C.
2008 Master of Arts and Science degree in Airpower, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 Air War College, by correspondence
2014 Distinguished Graduate, Master of Arts and Science degree in Strategic Studies, Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
2016 China and East Asia Seminar, Political-Economic Conflict Seminar, Capitol Hill Club, Washington, D.C.
1. December 1994 - August 1995, Student, Intelligence Officer Training, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
2. August 1995 - September 1997, Intel Plans Officer, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
3. September 1997 - October 1998, Chief, Strategic Targets, PACAF Air Intelligence Squadron, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
4. October 1998 - July 1999, Commander, Plans & Readiness Flight, PACAF Air Intelligence Squadron, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
5. July 1999 - July 2000, Chief, Target Intel, 49th Operations Support Squadron, Holloman AFB, N.M.
6. July 2000 - July 2002, Chief, 8th Fighter Squadron Intelligence, Holloman AFB, N.M.
7. July 2002 - July 2003, Chief, Air Operations Center Systems, ISR Directorate, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
8. July 2003 - May 2005, Global Hawk Functional Manager, ISR Directorate, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
9. May 2005 - May 2006, Director of Operations, 609th Air Intelligence Squadron, Shaw AFB, S.C.
10. May 2006 - June 2007, Student, National Defense Intelligence College, Bolling AFB, D.C.
11. July 2007 - July 2008, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
12. July 2008 - July 2010, Chief of Airborne ISR, U.S. Special Operations Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
13. July 2010 - July 2012, Commander, Joint Processing, Exploitation and Dissemination Squadron, Joint Special Operations Command, Fort Bragg, N.C.
14. July 2012 - Jun 2013, Deputy Commander, 548th ISR Group, Beale AFB, Calif.
15. June 2013 - July 2014, Student, U.S. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
16. July 2014 – June 2015, Chief, Pacific Air Forces 613th Air Operations Center, ISR Division, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
17. June 2015 – July 2017, Commander, 692nd ISR Group, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
18. July 2017 – June 2018, Chief, Strategic Studies Group, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
19. June 2018 – Present, Commander, Air Force Technical Applications Center, Patrick AFB, Fla.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
July 2008 - July 2010, Chief of Airborne ISR, U.S. Special Operations Command, MacDill AFB, Fla., as a major and lieutenant colonel
July 2010 - July 2012, Commander, JPED Squadron, JSOC, Fort Bragg, N.C., as a lieutenant colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star Medal with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Meritorious Unit Award with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor and oak leaf cluster
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with four oak leaf clusters Air Force Recognition Ribbon
National Defense Service Medal with bronze service star
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with two bronze service stars Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal Global War on Terrorism Service Medal Korean Defense Service Medal Armed Forces Service Medal
Air and Space Campaign Medal
Air Force Overseas Ribbon – Long Tour
Air Force Expeditionary Service Medal
Air Force Longevity Service Award with four oak leaf clusters
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon with bronze service star NATO Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 14, 1994
First Lieutenant Aug. 22, 1996
Captain Aug. 22, 1998
Major March 1, 2005
Lieutenant Colonel Jan. 1, 2010
Colonel July 1, 2015
(Current as of June 2018)