Chief Master Sergeant Robert L. Hopkins is the Command Chief Master Sergeant for the 70th Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Wing at Fort George G. Meade, Maryland. America’s Cryptologic Wing conducts signals intelligence and cybersecurity missions to inform national leaders, combatant commanders, air component commanders and combat forces, and to enable air, space and cyberspace operations. The wing also provides installation support services to more than 10,000 Airmen and dependents assigned to Fort Meade. Chief Hopkins is the advisor to the wing commander on all matters influencing the health, welfare, morale and effective utilization of 6,200 Total Force Airmen organized into 5 groups, 18 squadrons, and 2 detachments at 28 locations worldwide.
Chief Hopkins entered the Air Force in 1997 after graduating from high school in Pemberton, New Jersey. His assignments include bases in Mississippi, Germany, North Carolina and Texas. He deployed numerous times as direct support to the U.S. Army’s 1st Infantry Division and 173rd Airborne Brigade liberating Iraq. Additionally, he deployed as part of several Joint Task Forces in support of Operations Iraqi and Enduring Freedom.
Prior to assuming his current position, he served as the Command Chief Master Sergeant for the 67th Cyberspace Wing, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas.
1998 Ground Radio Maintenance Course, Keesler Air Force Base, Miss.
2000 Associate of Applied Science, Electronic Systems, Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell AFB, Ala. 2001 Ground Radio Maintenance Course 206, Keesler AFB, Miss.
2001 Airman Leadership School, Kapaun Air Station, Germany
2002 European Theater Air Ground Operation Course, Ramstein Airbase, Germany 2002 Communications-Electronics Career Advancement Course, Keesler AFB, Miss. 2004 JSOC Special Operations Radio Operations Course, Fort Bragg, N.C.
2006 U.S. Army Infantry School Airborne Course, Fort Benning, Ga. 2007 Non-Commissioned Officer’s Academy, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala. 2007 U.S. Army Military Free-Fall Parachute Course, Marana, Ariz.
2010 Senior Non-Commissioned Officer’s Academy, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala.
2015 Bachelor of Science, Information Technology, correspondence, American Military University, Charles Town, W.Va.
2019 Senior Enlisted Legal Orientation Course, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala.
2020 Enterprise Perspective Seminar, Alan L. Freed Associates, Washington, D.C.
2021 Leading Strategically Seminar, Center for Creative Leadership. Colorado Springs Colo.
2021 Transnational Issues Seminar, Alan L. Freed Associates, Washington, D.C.
1. June 1997–July 1997, Trainee, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. July 1997–April 1998, Student, Ground Radio Communication, Keesler AFB, Miss.
3. May 1998–November 2000, Combat Engineering & Installations Member, 738th Engineering & Installation Squadron, Keesler AFB, Miss.
4. November 2000–June 2004, Ground Radio Journeyman, 2nd Air Support Operations Squadron, Wurzburg Army Installation, Germany
5. June 2004–June 2007, Assistant NCOIC, Airborne Communications, Joint Communications Unit, Fort Bragg, N.C.
6. June 2007–December 2010, Superintendent, Electronic Maintenance & Superintendent, Logistics, 24th Special Tactics Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
7. January 2011–August 2014, Functional Manager, Cyber Systems Assignments, Air Force Personnel Center, Randolph AFB, Texas
8. August 2014–June 2015, Superintendent, Network Systems Flight, 543rd Support Squadron & Senior Enlisted Leader, Information Technology Operations Directorate, National Security Agency Texas, San Antonio, Texas
9. July 2015–May 2016, Superintendent, 531st Intelligence Squadron & Senior Enlisted Leader, Information Technology Operations Directorate, NSA Texas, San Antonio, Texas
10. May 2016–November 2017, Functional Manager, Air Combat Command/A6 Operating Location, JBSA- Lackland, Texas
11. November 2017–May 2019, Present Senior Enlisted Advisor 3rd Joint Communications Squadron, Joint Communications Support Element, MacDill AFB, Fla.
12. May 2019--June 2021, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 67th Cyberspace Wing, JBSA-Lackland, Texas
13. June 2021--Present, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 70th Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Wing, Fort George G. Meade, Maryland
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster Air Force Commendation Medal
Army Commendation Medal Air Force Achievement Medal
Outstanding Airman of the Year Ribbon
2009 Air Force Special Operations Command SNCO of the Year, MacDill AFB, Fla. 2009 Air Force Communications & Information Dominance SNCO of the Year
2010 Air Force Association General Billy Mitchell Award for C4 Excellence 2018 German Jump Wings
2019 Army Signal Corps Bronze Order of Mercury 2019 Italian Jump Wings
2019 Netherland Jump Wings
EFFECTIVE PROMOTION DATE
Chief Master Sergeant May 2015
(Current as of July 2021)