Colonel Scott O’Malley is the Vice Commander, 688th Cyberspace Wing, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas. In this capacity, he leads over 3,300 professional Airmen across four groups with 26 units at 15 locations worldwide. He ensures the readiness and employment of Airmen to build, operate, secure, defend and extend classified and unclassified networks through the employment of four cyberspace weapon systems and various engineering and expeditionary capabilities. He delivers resilient and integrated cyber infrastructure in garrison as well as in deployed environments, directing the training, mobilization and deployment of Airmen, communications and computer systems to enable the combat effectiveness of combatant commanders, joint task forces and Air Force component headquarters contingency operations.
Colonel O’Malley was commissioned in 1997 from the University of Iowa's ROTC program. He has held numerous operational, staff and academic positions, and has completed two long and two short overseas tours. He commanded the 673rd Communications Squadron. His operational cyberspace experience is shaped by base-level planning, programming, and information systems positions with the 15th and 8th Communications Squadrons, systems and database engineering at U.S. Strategic Command, and academics to include research focused on artificial intelligence, multi-level security system implementations, and cyber deterrence strategy, in addition to instructing undergraduate-level computer science courses for the next generation of officers and cyberspace operators. Further, he has held a number of staff positions to include serving as a liaison to the Iraqi government on C4I issues, executive officer to the Dean of the Faculty, U.S. Air Force Academy, speech writer for Commander, Pacific Air Forces, executive officer to the Commander, Pacific Air Forces, and executive officer to the Deputy Undersecretary of the Air Force (Space).
1997 Bachelor of Science, Computer Science, University of Iowa, Iowa
2001 Master or Science, Computer Science, Air Force Institute of Technology, Ohio
2002 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2009 Master of Science, Military Operational Art & Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB
2012 Air War College (correspondence), Maxwell AFB
1. June 1997–September 1997, Student, Basic Communication Officer Training, Keesler AFB, Miss.
2. September 1997–June 1998, Assistant Executive Officer, 15th Support Group, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
3. July 1998–July 1999, Action Officer, 15th CS, Hickam AFB
4. August 1999–March 2001, Graduate Student, School of Engineering and Management, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
5. March 2001–June 2003, Senior Systems Engineer, STRATCOM, Offutt AFB, Neb.
6. June 2003–June 2004, Information Systems Flight Commander, 8th CS, Kunsan AB, South Korea
7. June 2004–June 2006, Instructor (later Assistant Professor), Department of Computer Science, USAF Academy, Colo.
8. June 2006–June 2007, Command Control, Communications and Computer Liaison Officer, Multi-National Force-Iraq, Baghdad, Iraq.
9. June 2007–June 2008, Executive Officer to Dean of the Faculty, USAF Academy
10. July 2008–June 2009, Graduate Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB
11. July 2009–January 2010, Deputy Director, Commander’s Action Group, and COMPACAF Speechwriter, Headquarters, PACAF, Hickam AFB
12. January 2010–June 2011, Executive Officer to Commander, PACAF, Headquarters, Pacific Air Forces, JB Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
13. July 2011– July 2013, Commander, 673rd CS, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, AK
14. August 2013–May 2015, Executive Officer to the Deputy Undersecretary of the Air Force (Space), Pentagon, Washington, DC
15. June 2015–June 2016, Deputy Chief, Cybersecurity Division, Office of Cyber Operations and Warfighting Integration, Pentagon
16. July 2016–June 2017, Fellow, Air Force National Laboratory Technical Fellowship, Idaho National Laboratory, Idaho Falls, Idaho
17. July 2017–June 2018, Director of Cyberspace Operations, Fifth Air Force, Yokota AB, Japan
18. June 2018 - present, Vice Commander, 688th CW, JBSA-Lackland
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2006–June 2007, Command Control, Communications and Computer Liaison Officer, Multi-National Force-Iraq, as a major
2. October 2014–April 2015, U.S. Central Command Liaison Officer, CENTCOM, MacDill AFB, FL, as a lieutenant colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
National Intelligence Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 28, 1997
First Lieutenant May 28, 1999
Captain May 28, 2001
Major Feb 1, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel Dec 1, 2011
Colonel March 1, 2018
(Current as of June 2018)