Chief Master Sergeant Jason E. Funkhauser is the Command Chief of the 363d Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Wing, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia. He serves as the personal advisor to the Commander on all issues regarding the welfare, readiness, morale, professional growth, training, and quality of life of more than 2,500 Total Force military, civilian and contractor personnel executing operations at locations across the world. The core missions of the wing include analysis for air, space, and cyber operations; full-spectrum targeting, special operations ISR; and ISR testing, tactics development and advanced training.
Chief Master Sergeant Funkhauser entered the Air Force in June 1996. He attended the Defense Language Institute and graduated the Basic Modern Standard Arabic course in October of 1997, followed by the Cryptologic Language Analyst course at Goodfellow Air Force Base, Texas, in 1998. His background includes various duties as an Arabic Cryptologic Language Analyst both stateside and deployed, supporting Operations SOUTHERN WATCH, NORTHERN WATCH, ENDURING FREEDOM, IRAQI FREEDOM and the post-NEW DAWN Office of Security Cooperation-Iraq. Additionally, he served as a Goodfellow AFB technical training instructor and as a Chief Military Language Instructor at the Defense Language Institute. He has filled various leadership roles at the Squadron, Group, Numbered Air Force and NSA Directorate levels.
Prior to assuming his current position, he was the Chief Enlisted Manager of the 548th Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Group, where he served as the Senior Enlisted Advisor to the commander.
2002 Airman Leadership School, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
2006 Associate in Communications Application Technology, Community College of the Air Force
2007 Associate in Instructor Information Technology, Community College of the Air Force
2008 Non-Commissioned Officer Academy, Goodfellow Air Force Base, Texas
2011 Associate in Arabic, Defense Language Institute Federal Degree, Presidio of Monterey, Calif.
2011 Bachelor of the Arts in Intelligence Analysis, American Military University, Charles Town, W. Va.
2014 Air Force Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala.
2015 Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Course, National Security Agency, Texas
2018 Chief Leadership Course, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala.
2019 Defense Executive Technology Entrepreneur Course, Washington D.C.
2020 Global and Regional Issues Seminar, Alan L. Freed Associates, Alexandria, Va.
2020 Transnational Issues Seminar, Alan L. Freed Associates, Alexandria, Va.
2020 Senior Enlisted Legal Orientation (Virtual), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. June 1996–July 1996, Trainee, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. August 1996–October 1997, Student, Defense Language Institute, Presidio of Monterey, Calif.
3. October 1997–April 1998, Student, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
4. April 1998–September 2000, Cryptologic Language Analyst, 31st Intelligence Squadron, Ft. Gordon, Ga.
5. September 2000–January 2001, Student, Defense Language Institute, Presidio of Monterey, Calif.
6. February 2001–July 2005, Ground Mission Supervisor, 30th Intelligence Squadron, Langley AFB, Va.
(September 2004–March 2005, Cryptologic Language Analyst in support of 1st Marine Expeditionary Forces, Iraq, 31st Intelligence Squadron, Ft. Gordon, Ga.)
7. July 2005–September 2009, Instructor, Arabic Cryptologic Training, 316th Training Squadron, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
8. October 2009–November 2010, Intermediate Student, Defense Language Institute, Presidio of Monterey, Calif.
9. November 2010–October 2014, Chief Military Language Instructor, Military Language Instructor Flight Chief, Academic Operations Flight Chief, Operations Superintendent, 311th Training Squadron, Presidio of Monterey, Calif.
(May 2012–November 2012, NCOIC, Intelligence Security Cooperation Office, Office of Security Cooperation-Iraq, Baghdad, Iraq)
10. October 2014–September 2015, Superintendent, Policy, Plans and Assessments, Headquarters Twenty-Fifth Air Force, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
11. September 2015–November 2017, Senior Enlisted Leader, Information and Intelligence Analysis, NSA/CSS Texas, 93d Intelligence Squadron, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
12. November 2017–June 2019, Superintendent, 315th Training Squadron, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
13. June 2019–June 2020, Chief Enlisted Manager, 548th Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Group, Beale AFB, Calif.
14. July 2020-Present, Command Chief, 363d Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Wing, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
2002 John Levitow Award Winner, Airman Leadership School
2006 Occupational Instructor Certificate, Goodfellow AFB
2006 Stripes for Exceptional Performers (STEP) Promotion to Technical Sergeant
2008 Distinguished Graduate, Noncommissioned Officer Academy
2011 SNCO Instructor of the Year, 311th Training Squadron
2012 SNCO of the Year, 517th Training Group
2013 Air Force Association Outstanding Staff Member of the Year, 517th Training Group
2014 Distinguished Graduate, Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy
2015 Lance P. Sijan Nominee, 543d Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Group
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant November 1, 2017
(Current as of January 2021)