Colonel Kayle M. Stevens is the commander of the 480th Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Wing, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va. She directs the worldwide intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) operations of six groups providing world-class ISR to combatant commanders, Combined/Joint Forces Air Component commanders, Numbered Air Force commanders and coalition forces. She is responsible for approximately 6,000 military, civilian and contractor personnel, and a total enterprise valued at more than $5 billion.
Col Stevens is a graduate from Wellesley College and received her commission through Reserve Officer Training Corps at Massachusetts Institute of Technology. She is a career intelligence officer with extensive experience at the national and tactical levels. She is an Air Force Intern Program graduate and has served in a variety of staff assignments to include the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence, SECAF/CSAF Commander’s Action Group, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the National Security Agency, and as the Junior Military Assistant for the Secretary of Defense. She has commanded special operations forces (SOF) ISR units at the Detachment, Squadron and Group levels, responsible for planning and executing ISR targeting and the management of joint expeditionary personnel deployed around the globe supporting manned and unmanned ISR missions in support of AFSOC and SOCOM missions. She has deployed several times as a SOF ISR Mission Commander and Deputy J2 for International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) SOF Task Forces in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.
Prior to assuming her current position, she was the Commander, 361st ISR Group, Hurlburt Field, Florida.
1999 Bachelor of Arts, International Relations, Wellesley College, Wellesley, Mass.
1999 Intelligence Applications Officer Course, Goodfellow Air Force Base, Texas
2002 Airborne Cryptologic Operator Training, Offutt AFB, Neb.
2005 Squadron Officer School (In-Residence), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 M.A. degree in Organizational Management, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2008 Air Command and Staff College (In-Residence Air Force Intern Program), Washington, D.C.
2012 Air War College (Correspondence) 2015 National War College (In-Residence), Washington, D.C.
1. July 1999 – December 1999, Administrative Lieutenant, Detachment 365 Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Mass.
2. December 1999 – September 2000, Intelligence Fundamentals and Applications Courses, 315th Training Squadron, Goodfellow AFB, Texas
3. September 2000 – September 2001, Watch Officer and Chief, Mission Management, 303rd Intelligence Squadron, Osan Air Base, Republic of Korea
4. September 2001 - September 2003, TSIC-M and Chief, Mission Management, 488th Intelligence Squadron, RAF Mildenhall, United Kingdom
5. September 2003 – December 2004, Executive Officer to the Director of Plans and Programs, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
6. December 2004 – July 2005, Space and Missile Intelligence Officer, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
7. July 2005 – June 2007, Air Force Intern Program, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
8. June 2007 – June 2008, Deputy Chief of Force Readiness and Deployments Division, Directorate of Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
9. June 2008 – June 2010, Commander, Detachment 1, 25th Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Squadron, Cannon AFB, N.M.
10. June 2010 – August 2011, Executive Officer to the Commander, Air Force Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Agency, Lackland AFB, Texas
11. August 2011 – July 2012, Deputy Chief, Analysis and Production, NSA/CSS Texas, San Antonio, Texas
12. July 2012 – May 2013, Deputy Group Commander, 543rd Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Group, Lackland AFB, Texas
13. June 2013- June 2015, Squadron Commander, Data Masked Unit, 25th Air Force, Lackland AFB, Texas
14. June 2015 – June 2016, Student, National War College
15. June 2016 – June 2017, Junior Military Assistant to the Secretary of Defense, Pentagon
16. June 2017 – June 2018, Director Military Partnerships, Partner Engagement, Office of the Director of National Intelligence, Liberty Crossing, McLean, Va.
17. June 2018 – June 2020, Commander 361st Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance Group, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
18. June 2020 - present, Commander, 480th Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Wing, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2016 – June 2017, Junior Military Assistant to the Secretary of Defense, The Pentagon, Washington D.C., as a lieutenant colonel and colonel
2. June 2017 – June 2018, Director Military Partnerships, Partner Engagement, Office of the Director of National Intelligence, Liberty Crossing, McLean, VA, as a colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 1999
First Lieutenant June 2001
Captain June 2003
Major May 2009
Lieutenant Colonel November 2012
Colonel January 2017
(Current as of June 2020)