Colonel James V. Hewitt is Commander of the 688th Cyberspace Wing, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas. In this capacity, he leads over 3,300 professional Airmen across four groups with 22 units at 15 locations worldwide. He ensures the readiness and employment of Airmen to build, operate, secure, defend and extend classified and unclassified networks through the employment of four cyberspace weapon systems and various engineering and expeditionary capabilities. He delivers resilient and integrated cyber infrastructure in garrison as well as in deployed environments, directing the training, mobilization and deployment of Airmen, communications and computer systems to enable the combat effectiveness of combatant commanders, joint task forces and Air Force component headquarters contingency operations.
Colonel Hewitt enlisted in the Air Force in 1992 and served as an information manager while completing his undergraduate degree in computer information systems management. He was commissioned in February 1998 from Officer Training School. He then attended Basic Communications Officer Training at Keesler Air Force Base, Mississippi. He has deployed in support of Operations JOINT FORGE, ENDURING FREEDOM and IRAQI FREEDOM. Colonel Hewitt has served in various organizations and leadership positions at the squadron, group, wing, agency, Air Staff and Joint Staff. He is a graduated group commander.
1997 Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Information Systems Management, Colorado Christian University, Lakewood, CO
2002 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, AL
2007 Master of Science, Information Systems Management, University of Phoenix, Phoenix AZ
2010 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, AL
2013 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, AL
2019 The Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, Washington, D.C.
1. July 1998 - July 1999, Officer in Charge, Network Control Center, 314th Communications Squadron, Little Rock AFB, AR
2. July 1999 - July 2000, Information Systems Flight Commander, 314th Communications Squadron, Little Rock AFB, AR
3. July 2000 - July 2001, Missions Systems Flight Commander, 314th Communications Squadron, Little Rock AFB, AR
4. August 2001 - August 2004, Chief, Network Management Section, Regional Headquarters Allied Forces North Europe
(NATO), Brunssum, The Netherlands
5. August 2004 - September 2005, Executive Officer, Enterprise Capabilities Directorate, Air Force Communications
Agency, Scott AFB, IL
6. October 2005 - July 2007, Branch Chief, Voice Networks, Enterprise Capabilities Directorate, Air Force Communications
Agency, Scott AFB, IL
7. August 2007 - July 2009, Commander, Detachment 1, 338th Training Squadron, Ft Gordon, GA
8. August 2009 - June 2010, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, AL
9. June 2010 - June 2011, Commander, 386th Expeditionary Communications Squadron, Southwest Asia
10. July 2011 – June 2012, Chief, Organizational and Force Development Programs, Directorate of Cyberspace Operations, Office of Warfighting Integration and Chief Information Officer, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
11. June 2012 – July 2013, Chief, SecAF/CSAF Executive Communications, Office of the Assistant Vice Chief of Staff and Director, Air Staff, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
12. July 2013 – July 2015, Commander, 26th Network Operations Squadron, Maxwell-Gunter Annex, AL
13. Aug 2015 – June 2016, Branch Chief, Cyber Capabilities, Joint Staff J6, Washington, D.C.
14. June 2016 – June 2018, Deputy Executive Assistant to the Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Washington, D.C.
15. Sep 2018 – June 2019, National Security Fellow, The Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, Washington, D.C.
16. June 2019 – June 2021, Commander, 318th Cyberspace Operations Group, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, TX
17. July 2021 - Present, Commander, 688th Cyberspace Wing, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, TX
1. August 2001 - August 2004, Chief, Network Management Section, Regional Headquarters Allied Forces North Europe (NATO), Brunssum, The Netherlands as a Captain
2. Aug 2015 – Jun 2019, The Joint Staff, Washington D.C. as a Lieutenant Colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Defense Superior Service Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Feb 20, 1998
First Lieutenant Feb 20, 2000
Captain Feb 20, 2002
Major Aug 1, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel Jan 1, 2013
Colonel Mar 1, 2019
(Current as of Sep 2021)